The word I’ve chosen for 2016 is peace.
1. the normal, nonwarring condition of a nation, group of nations, or the world.
2. (often initial capital letter) an agreement or treaty between warring or antagonistic nations, groups, etc., to end hostilities and abstain from further fighting or antagonism
3. a state of mutual harmony between people or groups, especially in personal relations
4. the normal freedom from civil commotion and violence of a community; public order and security
5. cessation of or freedom from any strife or dissension.
6. freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction, anxiety, an obsession, etc.
7. a state of tranquility or serenity
Interestingly, as I sit here writing this, my neighbour is very loudly drilling something. I can’t begin to imagine what because the amount of drilling that goes on up there surely means there’s nothing left which doesn’t have holes in…
But that I guess is helpfully illustrative of my word. For me, this year, my hope is not that everything around me will suddenly become easy and quiet, but instead that I find a way to handle everything around me and be at peace even when my neighbour is drilling.
2015 feels like it’s been one of war. Fight after fight. For basic stuff. For a house to live in which doesn’t make me housebound. For a wheelchair. For the ability to get to work, to get around work. I wasn’t asking for the moon but I still had to push and push to get anywhere. It’s exhausting. I can’t do it any more. I am all out of fighting spirit.
I need to cultivate peace instead. The fighting is unlikely to go away. I can’t change that. All I can change is my reaction to it.
(I’ve just had a email alerting me to a new post on a friend’s blog, coincidentally her word is also going to be peace)
What tools, tips and techniques do you suggest for living more peacefully?